Amy Boyd, one of my lovely and uber talented gals from Grey’s Style Circle came over this week for some baking. I just picked up some lovely pink vintage dishes from the flea market last weekend, so I felt the new bowls ought to be worn in (much like a new outfit, no?). The occasion called for the bright summery strawberry hues, and because the clouds have persisted this week, I felt the dessert was a nice little pick me up.
White Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
· 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
· 1 Tbsp. baking powder
· 1/4 tsp. salt
· 4 Tbsp. cold butter, cut into chunks
· 1 large egg
· 2/3 cup half and half or heavy cream
· 1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
· 1/4 cup powdered sugar
For the whipped cream:
· 3/4 cup heavy cream, well chilled
· 2 Tbs. sugar
· 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, white chocolate chips, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. With a pastry blender or two forks, cut in butter until crumbly.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cream.
5. Pour cream mixture into the flour mixture, and mix with a fork until the dough just comes together. It will be sticky.
6. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
7. Spoon dough onto prepared cookie sheet. Flatten with your fingers to about 3/4-inch thick.
8. Bake 12-15 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, stir together strawberries and powdered sugar.
10. To make the whipped cream, in a deep bowl, combine the cream, sugar and vanilla.
11. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form and the cream is billowy, about 2 minutes.
12. Cover the bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve or for up to 2 hours.
13. To make shortcakes, place on biscuit, flat side up on a plate. Top with strawberries and whipped cream.